On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 16:28 -0500, Chris Frederick wrote:
> Now I'm also keeping in mind that you are on a laptop with no remote
> services.  If you start allowing services, then that will change things.
>  If clients are going to be connection to you for certain services, you
> should be more accommodating to them and play nice with the network
> where possible.
I think you're right. I often tend to think in my "server/network admin
ways". For a notebook - possibly connecting to unknown, public networks,
it may be a good idea to stay "hidden".

> <segway>
> I would recommend running nmap in crontab if you want to scan your
> network (look up ndiff on nmap's website).
> </segway>
Oh cool - I didn't know about "ndiff". Fetching nmap from SVN now... :)

What does "segway" mean? I just found a "personal transporter" thingy
online...

> P.S.  Daniel, no offense taken.  I enjoy these debates, it helps us
> think differently and learn new tricks.  If we are not challenged once
> in a while we get complacent, and that's typically when we start making
> mistakes.
nice :)

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887