On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Daniel Troeder <dan...@admin-box.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 12:00 -0500, Chris Frederick wrote:
[...]
> While all that is correct, I would also consider it "bad network
> behavior" (no offense intended).

So you consider my 'reject-with' settings to be good practice?

> It feels like "security through obscurity". It may hamper the
> well-working of a TCP/IP network, as that relies heavily on ICMP.

I was not really sure how to configure ICMP (ping) correctly. Any
input appreciated!

> Probably it will never be a problem for you, but it could be a problem
> for a network administrator.
>
> Also: if you wish to scan (nmap) yourself to check your system
> (configuration), you'll wish for REJECT instead of DROP :)

You mean as the default policy?

> On a (not so) different topic:
> If you're going to make your firewall more complex (more services, or
> other stuff), I'd suggest to use a widely used firewall script. That is
> more secure than writing your own firewall configuration, because in the
> long run it will be better maintainable (and they often also do "smart
> stuff(TM)" ;)
>
> My recommendation is "net-firewall/shorewall". It has a well balanced
> abstraction/granularity-ratio, and the produced iptable-rules are still
> readable :)

This is considered to be my learning example. Later I will definitely
consider using shorewall (learning one thing at a time).

Thanks!

--
Regards,
 Marco