Marco wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I set up my first firewall on my notebook (not running any services
> reachable from outside) using iptables. Since I am new to the topic,
> could you please verify if the output of 'iptables -L -v' is
> considered to be a safe firewall? Thanks!

Hi Marco,

Your firewall looks good, but I would change a few things.

First off, change your FORWARD chain to DROP.  Unless you are doing
routing on your laptop, there's no reason to have it.

I would also get rid of the REJECT targets.  It's better to DROP
instead.  If someone is scanning the network, and you start sending icmp
rejections back, they will know you are there and may try other
techniques to break through your defenses, but if you DROP and send
nothing back, it will be much harder for them to see you at all.

I would also re-write your INPUT chain to be a bit less verbose.
Something like this:

Chain INPUT (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
target     prot opt in    out     source   destination
ACCEPT     all  --  lo    any     anywhere anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  any   any     anywhere anywhere   state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
LOG        all  --  any   any     anywhere anywhere   LOG level warning
prefix `INPUT   '

Everything else looks good from a security standpoint.  From a
performance standpoint, you might want to add a line to the beginning of
your output chain like this:

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 5 packets, 1691 bytes)
target     prot opt in     out     source   destination
ACCEPT     all  --  any    lo      anywhere anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere anywhere  state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
LOG        all  --  any    any     anywhere anywhere  LOG level warning
prefix `OUTPUT  '

This will log only NEW packets.  Otherwise you could end up with a lot
of log output.

After you run this for a while, go back and look through your logs and
see if you have enough data there to change your OUTPUT chain to DROP,
and only allow packets through to ports you actually use.  That's only
if you're really paranoid though.

Hope that helps.

Chris