On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:34:11 +0200, KH wrote:

> >> IMHO, setting up any kind of auto-responder is a *huge* mistake.
> >
> > Any kind? Even a well functioning one that send no more than one mail
> > to any address in a day? I use a procmail rule to take care of this,
> > it appears after list filtering rules to list mails are not
> > auto-responded. But even if it did appear before a list's rule, one
> > mail per day is hardly a problem.

> is there a how-to for setting up a rule like this?

man procmailex

> To answer you question: It depends.

I was responding to a statement that any kind of auto-responder is wrong,
so "it depends" is not allowed :)

> Sometimes I receive auto response
> like "Hey I won't be at my desk for the next 30 mins because I went to
> get some launch."

The people that do that probably also tell everyone on twitter when
they're going for a dump.

> No email should be that important that one cannot wait
> like a day for an replay. If it is that important one should just use
> the phone.

Agreed.

> Going to a place without internet or on vacation for weeks, ok it is
> correct to inform the sender, that the email will not be read until
> whenever.

Another use it to let people know that their mail has been received. I
company I do work for has an auto-responder on their accounts address.
Emails are usually replied to quickly, but if I send an invoice there
is no need for a human response but the automated mail shows they
received it.

--
Neil Bothwick

Just when you got it all figured out:  An UPGRADE!