On 16 May 2009, at 15:56, Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2009-05-16, Ricardo Bevilacqua <rus.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

Why don't you use the (very old, but still effective) dd [1]
command to create an ISO image?

Because it won't work.

Have you tried it with an encrypted DVD?

It'll work fine & I do it all the time before I decrypt & rip DVDs.

dd if=/dev/<your-dvd-device> of=<some-path>/bakup.iso bs=2048 conv=sync,notrunc

That will make an exact copy of your DVD into your hard disk.

No, it won't.  Commercially sold audio and video DVDs are
encrypted so the DVD drive can't read them unless you load a
decryption key into the DVD drive.  DVD players have keys built
into them.  There are software packages like DeCSS and
libdvdcss that either have a built-in key or know how to figure
one out.

It WILL make an exact copy of the DVD onto the drive (assuming DVD video, and no ARccOS [1]), it will just be an exact copy of the *encrypted* movie. It won't be playable without an additional decryption step (although mplayer can include this step automagically), but it will be an *exact* copy.

The OP is talking about DVD-audio, however. It is less clear to me whether this is playable under Linux [2]. If it is then I would be trying to rip it as some kind of playable audio - I agree with the other comments (a point you're also obviously trying to get at) that there's little point in storing an encrypted copy.

Stroller.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Anti-ripping
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio#Copy_protection