On 16 May 2009, at 17:20, Joerg Schilling wrote:
It WILL make an exact copy of the DVD onto the drive (assuming DVD
video, and no ARccOS [1]), it will just be an exact copy of the
*encrypted* movie. It won't be playable without an additional
decryption step (although mplayer can include this step
automagically), but it will be an *exact* copy.

Even with a DVD-Video, you will not be able to make a copy of the DVD
using dd if the DVD is using CSS.

The sectors that are carrying content from VOB files will not be redable before
you unlock the drive using e.g. dvdbackup.

I'm assuming you're talking about cross-region copies here? I.E. a region 2 disk in a region 2 drive will still be clonable in this way?

Certainly I have copied disks using `dd` a number of times, PRIOR to decryption / ripping. However I cannot state the drives' status for sure - most of mine have region-free firmware applied as soon as I get them.

Stroller.