On 16 May 2009, at 16:56, Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2009-05-16, Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

Why don't you use the (very old, but still effective) dd [1]
command to create an ISO image?
I've tried it numerous times, and it's never worked for me.

It WILL make an exact copy of the DVD onto the drive (assuming DVD
video, and no ARccOS [1]), it will just be an exact copy of the
*encrypted* movie.

It's never worked for me.  I only get a fraction of the disk's
content followed by a lot of read/seek errors.

That tends to indicate that you're using newer ARccOS-protected DVDs. I have few of these & very many more that are more than 5 years old. In this case I think you may have some success ripping using a newer SVN of mplayer (and the newer versions of dvdread dvdlib (??) which have been patched by the mplayer developers).

Stroller.