On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 May 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
>> Edit the world file and remove every version number in that file if
>> present. You don;t need it and portage is infinitely better at tracking it
>> than you are. Then remove everything with a category ending in "lib", these
>> rarely need to be in world.
>
> Arrrgh!  Does this mean that I shouldn't have all these in there:
>
> media-libs/libdvdcss
> media-libs/libdvdnav
> media-libs/libdvdread
> media-libs/libflash
> media-libs/libmodplug
> media-libs/libmp4v2
> media-libs/libmpcdec
> media-libs/libmpeg2
> media-libs/libmpeg3
> media-libs/libogg
> media-libs/libpng
> media-libs/libquicktime
> media-libs/libsamplerate
> media-libs/libsdl
> media-libs/libtheora
>
> Also, as you can see from media-libs/libmpeg am I having duplicate packages in
> there?

I think libmpeg2 and libmpeg3 are two distinct packages (2 and 3 are
the mpeg version and part of the library name, not the package
version)

and yes, those probably don't need to be there UNLESS you are a
developer and use them -- but if you only want libs that are required
by installed programs, then you most likely shouldn't have them in
world.