On Sun, 24 May 2009 01:22:06 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

...[snip]...

> > ### Begin xorg.conf ###
> >
> > Section "ServerFlags"
> >        Option  "AllowEmptyInput"       "false"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Files"
> >     FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/util"
> >     FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/encodings"
> >     FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
> >     FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
> >     FontPath     "/usr/local/share/fonts"
> >     FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/default"
> >     FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
> >     FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
> >     FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
> > EndSection
> >
> > ### End xorg.conf ###
>
> This xorg.conf won't load ati-drivers at all.  If it works, it is
> probably running with another driver (radeon or vesa perhaps).  You
> need to run "aticonfig --initial" as root first.

Really?  My understanding had been that xorg-server-1.5.3 uses evdev and
runs happily without an xorg.conf file.  Without an xorg.conf I had
keyboard and font problems -- cured by the above configuration.

As an experiment, I ran the suggested command ( "aticonfig
--initial" ).  This added a lot to xorg.con and I then restarted X.
My screen resolution dropped from 1280x1024 to 640x480 and the screen
looked awful.

I've returned to the short config shown above.

To be honest, I don't know which display driver is in use and don't
much care since the display is working fine AFAICT.

David