On Sonntag 24 Mai 2009, David Relson wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2009 01:22:06 +0300
> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>
> ...[snip]...
>
> > > ### Begin xorg.conf ###
> > >
> > > Section "ServerFlags"
> > >        Option  "AllowEmptyInput"       "false"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > Section "Files"
> > >   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/util"
> > >   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/encodings"
> > >   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
> > >   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
> > >   FontPath     "/usr/local/share/fonts"
> > >   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/default"
> > >   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
> > >   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
> > >   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > ### End xorg.conf ###
> >
> > This xorg.conf won't load ati-drivers at all.  If it works, it is
> > probably running with another driver (radeon or vesa perhaps).  You
> > need to run "aticonfig --initial" as root first.
>
> Really?  My understanding had been that xorg-server-1.5.3 uses evdev and
> runs happily without an xorg.conf file.  Without an xorg.conf I had
> keyboard and font problems -- cured by the above configuration.
>
> As an experiment, I ran the suggested command ( "aticonfig
> --initial" ).  This added a lot to xorg.con and I then restarted X.
> My screen resolution dropped from 1280x1024 to 640x480 and the screen
> looked awful.
>
> I've returned to the short config shown above.
>
> To be honest, I don't know which display driver is in use and don't
> much care since the display is working fine AFAICT.
>
> David

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "evdev"
        Load  "v4l"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
         Option "DontZap" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "evdev"
        Option      "CorePointer"
        Option      "Name" "Logitech, Inc. MX610 Laser Cordless Mouse"
        Option      "evBits" "+1-2"
        Option      "keyBits" "~272-287"
        Option      "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "evdev"
        Option      "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option      "XkbModel" "evdev"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "de"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
        Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

works fine, 1680x1050 is the natural resolution of my display - automatically
chosen by X on start. Thanks to no modes or modelines I have a bazillion of
possible resolutions via randr available (either setting them with krandrtray
or xrandr).