On 12 Jun 2009, at 14:17, Grant wrote:
wlan0 in master mode does _not_ have an IP adress. So far eth0 is the only
ip adress your device has.
If you do not spezify a local ip adress on eth1, you will not have any local
ip adress.

I'm very confused.  I've been running wlan0 in master mode for about 3
years with IP 192.168.0.1 and no eth1.  Here was my entire
/etc/conf.d/net:

config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
mode_wlan0=( "master" )
essid_wlan0=( "networkname" )
channel_wlan0=( "11" )
config_wlan0=( "192.168.0.1 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0" )

All I'm trying to do is switch wireless drivers from madwifi-ng to the
in-kernel ath5k.  With madwifi-ng, I started net.wlan0, started
hostapd, and started shorewall and everything worked perfectly.  Now
with ath5k, net.wlan0 won't start in master mode.  This causes 2
problems:

1. I can't specify a local IP for wlan0 in /etc/conf.d/net like I've
been doing for years.
2. shorewall checks whether or not net.wlan0 has started because wlan0
is the only device in zone loc, so shorewall won't start.

So I'm required to have an eth1 because I'm switching from madwifi-ng
to ath5k?  That doesn't seem right.

For master mode AP to work, you should indeed be allocating it an IP address, just as you did before.

My experience was with madwifi some years ago, when it was the only driver for Atheros chips (am I remembering correctly?) and this combination was absolutely the best for an access-point setup.

At that time the only other 802.11g driver that did master mode was, I think, Prism54 and it was a little difficult to get hold of cards featuring that chipset (consequently I got into the side-business of selling them, and probably have 20 left here). madwifi was better because it featured "virtual APs" (VAPs) and allowed you to run separate WEP & unencrypted wireless networks on the same card (and run iptables rules on the interface allocated to each VAP).

So I'm not sure why you're changing from madwifi to ath5k.

But it _should_ be possible to assign an address to the wireless interface in master mode. And in the situation you describe - a router with only 2 interfaces, WAN & wLAN, then that's exactly what you want to do. The client machines on the wLAN will have IP addresses and they must be told the IP address of the gateway. The WAN IP address will be issued by your ISP, and of course the wLAN IP addresses must be in a private range. The gateway's LAN IP address must be on the same subnet as all the client PCs on the wLAN.

Stroller.