Stroller schrieb:

On 12 Jun 2009, at 16:38, Grant wrote:
OK, thank you Norman.  The reason I'm trying to switch (this is my
third serious attempt) is some kind of a bug that crashes the system
when SMP is enabled and the madwifi driver is in master mode.  I've
been running without SMP, but I could really use the extra power.

That's interesting. I had an old 4 x processor machine running as an access-point (madwifi or madwifi-ng) running in master mode for at least a year or two. It was unstable as heck, and I never attributed it to this. It would, however, stay up for days or weeks at a time.

Maybe this bug has crept in more recently? I'm not sure that it will apply to my new system (on which I'd like to run an AP, as soon as I get round to it) as that is a single processor P4.

Do you know if there is better Gentoo support for this on the horizon?

I did find the dev uberlord immensely helpful when I was first doing this. He was the baselayout guy at the time, although I don't know if he still is or if you might be able to get hold of him.

IMO the first thing to do is get the AP up & running without resort to the Gentoo init.d scripts. Try allocating an IP address to wlan0 just using `ifconfig` as root. If that works then you know the hardware & principles of operation are all ok.

Stroller.

I would recomment the same thing. Play around manualy. Find out what works and what does not. And if you found a manual way, you can start scriptworkarounds and automating things.