Thank you for the useful advice.  One more question will help:  does the new
kernel support ath5k out of the box on an install?

Perhaps I can just edit the existing /etc/fstab, using device names.  The
device numbering is inconsistent between GNU/Linux distros under the (what I
presume to be) new scheme, with all devices names as /dev/sdX .

I'll prepare for a new gentoo install, and hope that the current sabayon
continues to act sanely as gentoo, as I update the system, package by
package.  So far a fair amount of hand work is involved, in updating gnome,
for example.

Alan