Hi group,

Here's a switch: a computer that refuses to turn OFF. When I open a
root console and enter shutdown -h now my eee 900A  Asus Intel-n270
freezes with the message:

The system is going down for a system halt NOW!

Looking at ctrl alt F12, after the usual, normal messages there is this:

<...>
:mtrr:no MTRR for d0000000,10000000 found
:cpufreqd: term_handler     :Caught TERM signal (Terminated), forcing exit.

and at ctrl alt F7 I see:

<...>
*Stopping CPU Frequency Daemon ...      [ok]
*Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...                   [ok]
*Killing processes using ALSA ...               [ok]
*Unloading ALSA modules ...                     [ok]

This happened yesterday too when I clicked the 'quit' button on the
Xfce4 desktop, so I tried it manually from a console to see if it
would make any difference. Not a bit of it.

Now I have to hold down the off/on button and pray the SSD doesn't
croak when I reboot. Very scary messages about non-contiguous files
and a forced reboot.

FWIW this only started after installing alsa-utils and configuring the
sound card(Intel 82801G) according to alsa-guide.xml