On Wednesday 09 September 2009 14:35:41 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 September 2009 18:56:50 walt wrote:
> > Are you seeing something very different at your end?
>
> Yes. I've created just one VM (this is on my KDE-4 test system). On the
> Details tab I get a list of configuration variables with their values.
> Under CD/DVD ROM I have "Mount CD/DVD drive" selected, and the "Host CD/DVD
> drive" drop-down box contains just the one entry: /dev/fd0.
>
> That's why I said I can't install a guest OS - the VM can't read the
> installation CD. Have I to make an ISO from the CD and mount that? Seems
> like a bit of a roundabout route if so.

In addition to the screenshot, using Linux it's very easy to create an ISO-file
from an existing CD/DVD.
I always do it with:
# cp /dev/cdrom <path-to>/bladiebla.iso
(change paths / names as appropriate)

No need to install additional software to do this and I have succesfully used
this to create ISO images from MS Windows install media as well for use with
both VirtualBox and VMWare.

--
Joost