On 09/24/2009 12:29 PM, Dale wrote:

USB.  There is another idea.  Ooops, out of USB plugs too.  Crap, I
can't put in a drive without buying something to plug it into.  LOL  I
do have USB 2.0 on here.  I have to have 2.0 for the printer but my
camera has to have 1.0.  Weird I know.

There are so many interesting posts in this thread I don't know which
one to reply to :o)  Just FYI, USB 3 has just been ratified, so we can
expect ultra-fast USB-3 drives in the (near?) future, which should be as
fast or faster than SATA-II.

The point I really want to make is regarding your question about which
disk drive to buy.  I have drives from three different manufacturers at
the moment, and they are all superb and incredibly cheap -- but that low
cost comes at a price (does that make any sense?).

I've had to return two drives in the last three years or so because of
catastrophic failure while still under warranty (amazing!).  In both
cases the replacement drives have been absolutely perfect for years now.

In other words, disk manufacturers have apparently decided to abandon
strict quality control in favor of low price, and seem happy to replace
failed drives as a substitute for quality control.  It must be a profitable
strategy because they all seem to be doing it.  But be prepared for drive
failures from *every* manufacturer -- and then buy whatever is on sale for
the lowest price.