On Thursday 08 October 2009 21:27:57 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 10/08/2009 10:19 PM, James Ausmus wrote:
> > I've used it before - I can't remember what is was for, but I do
> > remember using nested $() commands...
> >
> > Isn't ` being deprecated (by BASH at least) anyway?
>
> Hopefully not!  It's just two key presses to type "``". "$()" takes 4
> (shift+4+9, command, shift+0).

$() is more consistent with other syntax elements in bash, It's essentially
the same thing as evaluating a variable and inserting it's value. The ``
syntax is a wild anachronism from days long ago that is completely at odds
with everything else in the shell. Well, you can say that about many things in
bash, but that's not a good reason to not fix anything...

IIRC correctly it's not really deprecated either - that implies the thing will
go away some time. It's more "strongly advised not to use it"

> What's easier than simply pressing one single key? :-/

Ummm, not having to look for it and find it first before pressing it? How
about a keyboard that doesn't have it at all?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com