G'day,

Grant wrote:
I just finished installing Gentoo on a Dell Vostro 1320 laptop.  It
has a 2.2Ghz Core Duo CPU, 3GB RAM, and a 7200RPM hard drive.
Navigating within firefox is pretty slow.  It's the response time of
the application, not the network.  It's much slower than my previous
laptop which has much weaker specs.

I noticed the HD light comes on when the system is pausing in firefox
sometimes.  I don't have any swap at all, I'm using the CFQ, and /tmp
is mounted on tmpfs.  Can anyone suggest where to look?

- Grant

Slightly related, but you might want to check and make sure your HD isn't grinding itself to a quick death as is always the case when I'm setting up a laptop:

http://en.opensuse.org/Disk_Power_Management

--
Beau Henderson