On 10/26/2009 02:10 AM, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> On 25.10.2009 18:07, walt wrote:

>> It seems that pulseaudio has its own mixer control (not
>> included in gentoo's pulseaudio package) so maybe it does
>> make sense to remove that function from gnome's volume
>> control applet.
>
> Looking at the pulseaudio documentation it seems to be a very
> well-designed system. But there are so many components to it that I
> found it very confusing to configure. In fact, after fiddling around
> with it for two days, I gave up on that, removed USE=pulseaudio
> again, and rebuilt world.
> Now I only have the problem that I cannot start the GNOME "Volume
> Control" applet any more. When I try I get
>
>    Some panel items are no longer available
>    One or more panel items (also referred to as applets) are
>    no longer available in the GNOME desktop.
>
>    These items will now be removed from your configuration:
>     • Volume Control

You say you rebuilt world.  Was gnome-media actually rebuild without
the pulseaudio Use flag?  That's where gnome-volume-control comes
from, not from the panel applets package.

BTW, you can also do nicely without the esd USE flag and esound also,
but you'll need to revdep-rebuild after because lots of packages will
break (but they all still work perfectly after the rebuild.)