Arnau Bria writes:

> I've rebuild my xorg-server with no hal support, I've upgraded my
>  kernel to 2.6.30-r8 and rebuild "all" xf86 drivers/libs/proto
>  packages:
[...]
> Then, I use nvidia-xconf for geenrating my xorg.conf file and looks
> like:

[...]

> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "VGA"
>     Driver         "vesa"
>     VendorName     "Unknown"
>     BoardName      "Unknown"
> EndSection
>
> and when I start X, system goes really slow and I see some
> errors/warnings in X log file:

I would expect vesa to be quite slow. I don't know about nvidia-xconf and
where it comes from, probably because I do not have a nvidia card any
more. Does it really place "vesa" into the config?
What happens when you replace the "vesa" driver with "nvidia"? emerge
nvidia-drivers if not already done. If this fails, try "nv" instead, this
is the slower open source driver, which should be okay for 2D acceleration
at least.

> # grep EE Xorg.0.log
>  to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
>  to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
>  to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)

I read something here about dri and dri2 some days ago, but don't
remember. I think they are not needed with nvidia-drivers or something
like that.

There is also X -configure which creates a new xorg.conf, but that
segfaults for some years on my machine.
And you could try with hal and no xorg.conf.

        Wonko