On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:29:09 +0930
Iain Buchanan wrote:

Hi,

> In my experience, various nvidia-drivers just seem to "not work" with
> my system, no matter how many times I rebuild and recheck things.  I
> have a whole bunch of versions masked.  Looking back, I never seemed
> to have a problem with 180.60 - I ran it for about 4-6 weeks.
>
> You could try adding this to /etc/portage/package.mask:
> =x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-180.60

I did upgrade...

> Then decide whether you want to downgrade to the previous stable, or
> upgrade to the latest unstable.  I'm running unstable 190.42-r2 and so
> far it's quite "stable", but as we've seen, every system is different!
> (I'm on ~x86, so quite a bit of my system will differ from yours).
here I'm... same version as you but diff revision .

[I] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
     Installed versions:  190.42-r3!s(12:51:20 PM 11/16/2009)(acpi gtk kernel_li

X starts fine (I see NVidia logo for only half second) I can change
between workspaces fine, but when I open an application it hangs... I'm
lucky cause I can change to virtual console with Ctrl+Alt+F1 and no
reboot needed, but I'm really tired about this issue...
nv does not work neither and I don't know what else I can try... Vesa
sucks (well, at least I can see things in my screen if I take off my
glasses).... and I see no other people with same problem.

> HTH,
Thanks for your reply,

--
Arnau Bria