On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 12:32:20PM +0100, Penguin Lover Jes??s Guerrero
squawked:
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:22:38 +0200, Dirk Uys <dirkc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This has been bothering me for some time now. I have a Dell PC at work,
> > Intel Core2 Duo with 4gb ram etc. Whenever something does a lot of disk
> > access, the PC slows down to a halt?

> > The application that is mostly involved when I get
> > these long delays is FireFox, VMWare and emerge (emerge --sync).
>
> I know I am hitting at the obvious, but I can't be sure you already
> checked that.
>
> Since the applications you are using can be quite intensive in memory
> usage, did you check whether you are hitting swap or not?

I realize that Firefox is a memory hog, but how many tabs must be open
for Swap to hit severely on a machine with 4gb ram? :)

Question in general: emerge --sync and VMWare I can see, but why does
FireFox require heavy disk access? (Actually, this is an honest
question: my work machine had a problem yesterday where everytime I
click a link in FireFox the computer freezes for about 30 seconds.
Turns out the problem was that someone else's rogue process was
hitting the NFS server like crazy so whatever disk-related activity
FireFox does after every link click cannot get through. It is somehow
worrisome that background IO like writing to the History file can lock
up the UI...)

When two egotists meet, it's an I for an I.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1090 days, 13:55