On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 06:24:49PM +0200, Penguin Lover Nikos Chantziaras
squawked:
>> Hum, I had forgotten about this command. It would have come in handy a
>> few days ago. But in the case of FireFox, wouldn't that make it worse?
>
> No.  If you run other tasks as "ionice -c3" they will stop blocking
> Firefox.

I see. I guess it would not have helped in my case as it was, since the
problem was due to another user's process blocking the IO, and I am not
root on my work machine.

>> Also, what do you mean by known problem? What sort of set-up causes
>> the problem? Is this related at all to the hardware used? Or is this
>> purely in software?
>
> No, it's related to the Linux kernel blocking other applications for too
> long when one of them does heavy I/O.  This is done so that each task has a
> chance to get more work done for the amount of time it gets to do I/O.  As
> you can imagine, this hurts non-server systems quite badly.

Ah, so ionice -c 3 is to be used for the other (dare I say
non-interactive?) processes. Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers,

A young woman was jogging when she saw a wizened old man, smiling at her
from his porch.
"You look so happy!" she said to him. "What's your secret for a long
satisfying life?"
"Well, I smoke three packs of cigarettes every day and I drink a case of
wisky every week. on top of that I never excersice, and I eat lots of
fatty foods."
"That's amazing," the woman said. "And how old are you?"
He answered, "thirty two."
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1090 days, 18:04