On Monday 18 January 2010 18:26:21 Mike Edenfield wrote:
> > +1 I do OK with plain text but no clue on the new xml stuff. Why not
> > just keep it simple? Is xml REALLY needed?
>
> XML allows you to generate complex, structured, hierarchical data that
> can be read, changed, and stored by well-tested third party libraries
> that don't need to know anything about the contents or meaning of your
> configuration data beforehand.  This means I, as a developer, don't need
> to write any code to read and parse configurations, validate the syntax
> or structure (only the content), or persist it back out.
>
> In simpler terms: less time spent on the configuration parser, more time
> spent being productive.

Just as code is read many more times than it is written, so is a package
configured by the end user many more times than the config parser studied by
the developer.

Your post makes sense until you realise that the use of XML in a configuration
designed to be changed by the user renders the package virtually unusable.
Given a choice between me as a developer struggling with a config parser
versus vast swathes of users dumping the package because of the same parser,
I'd say it's me that has to work harder, not my users.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com