On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> James Ausmus wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com <mailto:
>> rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>  <snip>
>>
>>    That was my problem, no keyboard or mouse.  Sort of hard to do
>>    much in that situation.
>>    Dale
>>

>> Pshaw... ;)
>>
>> <ctrl>-<alt>-<F1>, or, if that doesn't work:
>>
>> <alt>-<SysRq>-R
>> <alt>-<F1>
>>
>> Of course, method 2 only works if you have the "Magic SysRq keys" (or
>> whatever it's called) option enabled in the kernel, and not enough people
>> know about the Magic SysRq keys at this point...
>>
>> -James
>>

> In that case, ctrl alt F1 does nothing.  You also need to understand that
> most people don't even know how to use SysRq keys.

<snip>

I know, I just felt like being a smart-ass... ;)

> I didn't and had to do a hard shutdown.  I had to actually pull the plug to
> do any good.  Luckily I knew how to get it to boot into single user mode so
> I could disable hal otherwise I would be right back on the same screen again
> with no mouse or keyboard.

<snip>

Another option (I know - too late for you, but might be useful for someone
that runs across this on Google), is to press I during the initscript
processes - enters "Interactive Boot" mode, so you can Y/N individual
startup scripts, including xdm/X

> It would be really bad if even that didn't work with devicekit.  I'm not
> sure how it couldn't but we never know do we?

<snip>

I agree - there has been a lot of churn with X/HAL/udev/input devices over
the past year or so, and it's really bitten some people badly, certainly not
an ideal situation, and the DeviceKit migration really should be tested more
thoroughly, in more combinations, than some of the other changes have been.
However, the only real way it will get tested in more combinations is if we,
the users, try it out early and often, and let the Gentoo devs and/or
upstream devs know when we run into problems - anybody who specifically had
issues with input devices using HAL would probably be a *very* useful test
data point, as they most likely have SW/config/HW combinations that upstream
specifically does *not* have - as evidenced by the fact that it broke
previously... ;)

> I could work around it if needed but some other user may not can.  What if
> that hard shutdown corrupts a file system and causes data loss?  I'm not
> just wanting it to work better for me but for others who use Linux and know
> even less than I do.
> Dale

And this is why it is a Very Good Thing to spread the word about the Magic
power button (which should send an ACPI shutdown signal, causing the system
to self-power-off)?

I'll try to stop being a smart-ass, but it's just one of those kind of
days... <grin>

 -James