On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Thursday 11 February 2010 13:50:54 Walter Dnes wrote:
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 01:31:26AM +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote

On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Roy Wright wrote:
IMO, mandatory semantic-desktop is a very good reason to find another
desktop manager (even after being my primary desktop for 7 years).
yeah good luck with that. Because gnome is moving in that direction
too.

   There are other desktops besides GNOME and KDE.  Actually I prefer the

ICEWM window manager.  I was running a 1999 Dell 450mhz PIII with 128
megs of *SYSTEM* ram until the summer of 2007.  Let's just say that
GNOME and KDE were out of the question for me.  On my current desktop,
ICEWM flies.  But I also have a netbook, and again GNOME and KDE are not
usable.

Seriously guys, you start sounding like luddites. Is new, must be bad.

   Correction, is fat, bloated, and slow, must be bad.  I wonder if

Microsoft's anti-linux strategy is to have its agents infiltrate the
linux developer community, and turn linux into bloatware.
You have been corrected on this point so many times I now think you are
just a stupid ass.

It is not slow.

You are the only one saying that. People who do use Nepomuk say that it is
not slow and does not hog resources (initial scan excepted).
you can even tell nepomuk how much memory it is allowed to use ...

Can you nice the thing too? That would work. I set emerge to 5 and I can't even tell that emerge is running most of the time. There may be times when I can but it is rare.

I just don't get this thing that indexing is a resource hog. I notice updatedb running at night. I have 329Gbs of "data" and updatedb only takes a few minutes. How is that a resource "hog"? My machine is not as old as some but it is slow going by the new machines that are out now. It's a AMD 2500+ with 2Gbs of ram. I have had Linux on machines as slow as 133MHz but never felt the need to disable indexing.

Dale

:-)  :-)