On 14 Feb 2010, at 11:56, Damian wrote:
Hi Dirk,

In your first post you stated that you want to have both started, right? But
"after" is about order, not dependency. I'd say you need to put

rc_need="mpd"

into /etc/conf.d/mpdscrible and put mpdscrible into default runlevel, not mpd.
I understand, but that isn't what I want, because when I boot up, I
don't always start up mpd.

So don't put either of them into the default runlevel. The point is to get one of them to start when the other does.

Maybe a combination of both

rc_after="mpdscrible"
rc_need="mpdscrible"

in /etc/conf.d/mpd could also work.
That's the problem. No matter what I put in  /etc/conf.d/mpd the init
script seems to ignore it. Even if I write
   rc_need="more money"
it will be ignored. Although the config file is read when I restart mpd.

Is it possible that you & Dirk are using different versions of baselayout?

$ grep rc_need /etc/init.d/*
$ grep rc_need /etc/conf.d/*
$ eix -I baselayout
[I] sys-apps/baselayout
Available versions: [P]1.11.15-r3 1.12.11.1 ~1.12.12 1.12.13 ~2.0.0 ~2.0.1 {bootstrap build static unicode} Installed versions: 1.12.13(03:11:46 09/02/10)(unicode - bootstrap -build -static)
     Homepage:            http://www.gentoo.org/

$

Stroller.