On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 03:54:10PM +0100, Damian wrote:
> > (d) What versions of openrc and baselayout are you using?
> openrc is not installed, and the baselayout version is 1.12.13.

I am thinking that Dirk's advice maybe OpenRC/baselayout2 specific.
Which is perhaps why those configuration variables gets ignored in
your case.

One thing you can try is to upgrade. But be sure to follow
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
if you choose to do so. If you leave the system in an inconsistent
state it will fail to boot.

(Unfortunately, as far as I know, openrc is not terribly well
documented besides the information in /etc/rc.conf ... I'd be happy to
be shown otherwise.)

For baselayout-1, I think you are more or less stuck with
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=4

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong                                     ww...@math.princeton.edu
         et vice versa   ~~~  I. Newton