On Wednesday 17 February 2010 16:57:34 Crístian Viana wrote:
> the "qt4" useflag isn't enabled by default, right? that'd be a big
> 'default' problem to people installing KDE.
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:25:25 +0100, Andzrzej Styczeń wrote:
> > > * Error: circular dependencies:
> > >
> > > ('ebuild','/','devel-util/cmake-2.6.4-r3','merge') depends on
> > >
> > >     ('ebuild','/','x11-libs/qt-gui-4.5.3-r2','merge') (buildtime)

> > qt-gui needs cmake to build, but you have set the qt4 USE flag, so cmake
> > needs QT to build, hence the circular dependency.
> >
> > USE="-qt4" emerge --oneshot cmake
> >
> > will temporarily build cmake without QT support, allowing it to build
> > first.
> >

> > --
> > Neil Bothwick
> >
> > There's no such thing as a free lunch
> >
> >                              ___Steve Ballmer, choking on a linuxburger

I detect a spectacular dose of stupidity in these build settings.

Use wants KDE4
Therefore user must have Qt4 as it doesn't run on Qt3
So USE=qt4 is a must
Qt4 is built with cmake

Up till this point everything is cool and makes sense.

But now cmake needs Qt4.

How on this earth can anyone reasonably expect a BUILD SYSTEM to have the gui
libs already installed that the build system is designed to build????

I mean, come on, lets get real here. Someone needs a good thumping with a clue
by four. This little scenario has just guaranteed that everyone building KDE4
for the first time on a machine will run into a show-stopper.

This warrants a knee-capping.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com