On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Arttu V. <arttu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/11/10, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> to determine whether this package provides it. I cannot do that as I
>> don't have lzma-utils on my systems anymore.
>
> Well, that can be sort of done with, e.g.:
>
> ebuild /usr/portage/app-arch/lzma-utils/lzma-utils-4.32.7.ebuild install
>
> It will run emerge phases until the system creates the installation
> image, but it won't merge the files into their proper locations in the
> file system. Listing files in the image directory shows all the five
> liblzmadec.* files (or symlinks) that would get installed.
>
>> If you don't have  lzma-utils on your system anymore then erase
>> /usr/lib64/liblzmadec.la by hand and run revdep-rebuild -ip again and
>> see if it's clean.
>
> Yes, this whole issue smells like an overblown orphaned .la-file
> issue. Package manager cannot help much with such, and IMHO it's not a
> bug (well maybe in the package manager, but let's not start that
> flamewar ;) ).
>
> Anyway, if it were me I'd nuke the file in a heartbeat, but if OP is
> too timid for that, he can also quarantine the file first, i.e., move
> it to some other path where it won't cause trouble (and then delete
> later). Also, (from the bug) his libarchive.la seems to still list the
> .la, so he should re-emerge libarchive after moving away the orphaned
> .la-file (or use lafilefixer?).
>
> Still, there is something funny with paludis, as so many people using
> it seem to have so many problems with orphaned libtool archive files.
> Ahem, even the warning from exherbo front page is gone nowadays. Is it
> production quality now? o.O
>
> --
> Arttu V.

Hi Arttu,
   I agree with pretty much everything you say although I don't know
anything about plaudis so nothing at all to say about that.

   I think the OP could also do

equery depends /usr/lib64/liblzmadec.la

and if that shows nothing is depending on it then it's certainly an
orphaned file and can be deleted. (Or safely moved...)

   I went through a period maybe 3-6 months ago where it seems I had a
dozen of these orphaned files on all my systems. I cleaned them up,
ran

emerge -DuN world
revdep-rebuild -i
eix-test-obsolete -d

and have been very clean since.

   Anyway, I do think it's a really big deal. He'll work his way through it.

Cheers,
Mark