Hi Arttu,

>> Ok, so moving the file, reinstalling libarchive, and running
>> lafilefixer didn't change the situation.
>>
>> So I'm using gvfs without the archive flag.
>
> Bummer. Are you sure your libarchive.la is not another orphan, just
> like liblzmadec.la was?
Indeed.  libarchive.la is not owned by any package. Is this a symptom
of a bigger problem?

> Please check (if you are still interested in hunting down the cause).
Sure, and I really appreciate the gentoo community help.

> You should probably only end up with that la file if you have
> USE="static-libs" for libarchive -- which (if I'm reading correctly
> the paludis output attached in the bug) you do not have currently
> enabled.
That's correct. Should I enable static-libs and recompile libarchive?

> But since you have the libarchive.la file on your system you may have
> had the USE flag enabled at one point, or the ebuild may have changed
> to allow separate dynamic and static building while your package
> manager might not have kept up with its records.
Ok, if that's the case I will report it to the paludis developers.

> So, also check the owner of libarchive.la, and clean up if necessary.
Ok, I just moved the library to the trash.

What I don't understand is how to orphaned la files can cause
compilation failures.

Thanks,
Damian.