On 16 Mar 2010, at 16:32, Steve wrote:
Given the point above I would also stick with software RAID.
If reliability is your primary concern, I would go for a simple RAID1
setup;
Absolutely.  Software raid is cheaper and implies less hardware to
fail. Similarly, RAID1 minimises the total number of disks required to
survive a failure. It's the only way for me to go.

How does your system boot if your RAID1 system volume fails? The one you have grub on? I think you mentioned a flash drive, which I've seen mentioned before. This seems sound, but just to point out that's another, different, single point of failure.

If you do not need data sharing (i.e. if your volumes are only mounted by one client at a time), the simplest solution is to completely avoid
having a FS on the storage server side -- just export the raw block
device via iSCSI, and do everything on the client.
Snap-shots, of course, are only really valuable for non-archive data...
so, in future, I could add a ZFS volume using the same iSCSI strategy.

I have wondered if it might be possible to create a large file (`dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/large/file` constrain at a size of 20gig or 100gig or whatever) and treat it as a loopback device for stuff like this. It's not true snapshotting (in the ZFS / BTFS sense), but you can unmount it and make a copy quite quickly.

Stroller.