On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:44:34 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:

> Just for clarification: Is it really necessary to unplug the broken disk
> for this to work?
> If read access fails on sda and the BIOS tries sdb, would this also
> work? Isn't grub's hd0 always the disk on which grub resides (e.g. the
> disk from which grub managed to boot)?

I suspect that may be dependent on the nature of the failure. For
example, if /boot is corrupted, the BIOS will still boot from the broken
disk's MBR before failing later.

Most BIOSes now enable you to disable individual SATA ports, so you could
disappear the disk without unplugging it, although I'm not sure why you'd
want to leave a broken disk in the box.

--
Neil Bothwick

This is the day for firm decisions! Or is it?