On Tuesday 16 March 2010 21:13:29 Stroller wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2010, at 20:04, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:57:49 +0000, Stroller wrote:
> >> How does your system boot if your RAID1 system volume fails?
> >
> > You put GRUB on both disks, then you can boot from either on its own.
>
> Is this reliable? I don't contest it, I'm just asking. It's just this
> was one of my considerations when choosing hardware RAID.
>
> Stroller.

This is the generally recommended method and I found this method in the Gentoo
documentation. If this wouldn't be reliable, I would have expected this not to
be in the docs for long.

I have /boot mirrored, not actually tested with removing a disk yet, but I am
confident it will work.

If not, I have other methods of booting the system and getting to the data.

--
Joost