On 03/26/10 14:29, Alex Kuster wrote:
yes, because ffmpeg compiles against the shared library called vdpau
to do the hardware acceleration ... so, the dependency IS necessary

Thanks for the reply. Just downloaded the ffmpeg source distribution and
FWICT, the ffmpeg source distribution includes the necessary code:

./libavcodec/vdpau.c
./libavcodec/vdpau_internal.h
./libavcodec/vdpau.h

Unless there are additional snippets, it appears that ffmpeg (for one....)
doesn't need vdpau.

[]

you can use the variable EXTRA_ECONF to pass parameters to
./configure and manually add vdpau, but I don't know if there's an
option to modify that on a package basis (like
/etc/portage/package.use ) .. instead of a global var ... without
touching ebuilds ...

Didn't work; FWICT, EXTRA_ECONF provides limited function
<http://bugs.gentoo.org/38618>

Is there a file anywhere that I can edit, which mandates that to use the
vdpau "use" flag, I have to have the vdpau package installed?

TIA