On 03/26/10 17:08, Paul Hartman wrote:
On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM,
7v5w7go9ub0o<7v5w7go9u...@gmail.com>  wrote:
I'd like to compile ffmpeg with vdpau - direct NVidia hardware
acceleration. This is a configuration flag for ffmpeg.

Setting the "vdpau" use flag seems to set the configuration flag,
but also brings in the "x11-libs/libvdpau" libraries which I think
I do not want, as my NVidia proprietary driver provides these
libraries.

AFAIK Nvidia split the vdpau off into libvdpau late last year
sometime. On my system I use both nvidia-drivers and libvdpau without
issue. libvdpau provides libvdpau.so while nvidia-drivers provides
libvdpau_nvidia.so

Here are my versions:

x11-libs/libvdpau-0.3-r2 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-195.36.15

Are you using older versions? I use ~amd64 so maybe if you run stable
it has the older versions.

AHA! THANKS! that explains a lot - including why they made libvdpau
ebuild a requirement for ffmpeg.

I didn't know that libvdpau ebuild is simply an open-source version of
libvdpau.so. (The webpage describes a "wrapper" - duh, what's a wrapper?
But I suppose that if libvdpau.so is the first in line, and subsequently
loads other "driver" components, then it could be called a wrapper).

Portage fell behind the NVidia driver releases a while back - probably
before the split you described -  so I then started installing drivers
directly from NVidia.com, and not portage.

(And NVidia continues to bundle libvdpau.so (proprietary?) along with the
other components.)

So when ffmpeg wanted to add a "wrapper" to the mix, I decided no thanks
and started this thread -  finally figuring out that I needed to remove
the requirement from the ebuild. Having libvdpau.so, everything worked fine.

Now that I know what it is, I've installed the libvdpau package and
updated the portage NV drivers to current. If portage keeps current I'll
use it; if portage again falls behind I should be able to use NVidia.com and
ffmpeg will compile either way.

Thanks again for your help.