OK, if these bacteria live in the deep ocean, can they be fertilized,
eg by using iron?  What about the ones that live in the upper ocean,
which you imply are less significant?

Are the bacteria specifically evolved for metabolising methane, or are
they 'ordinary' bacteria that happen to do it as and when it takes
their fancy?

Can such bacteria be cultured in the lab, and would GM be of any
assistance in improving the rate of methane metabolism?