Andrew Lockley <andrew.lock...@gmail.com>: *I gave up on my efforts to start
such an organisation when Ken spoke out against it on this list.
*
I'm not even aware of having spoken out against the idea of an organization.

There are many possible organizations that can and will (and some probably
should) develop around this issue, ranging from professional service
organizations to political advocacy organizations.

I am all for letting 1000 flowers bloom.

We should just not fool ourselves into thinking that there will be one
organization to fit all needs, or that there is a broad consensus on issues
across this entire distribution list.

The key to success is to add value, to provide a service, to fill a need. If
someone starts doing something that others perceive as valuable, and it is
done in an open, thoughtful, and inclusive way, it will attract other
people.

Please do not take anything I said to inhibit you from attempting to do
something you perceive as valuable.

Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA

kcalde...@ciw.edu; kcalde...@stanford.edu
http://dge.stanford.edu/DGE/CIWDGE/labs/caldeiralab
+1 650 704 7212; fax: +1 650 462 5968