The methane tends to be devoured by microbes. However, methane supply may
exceed availability of other necessary nutrients such as oxygen and trace
elements that living organisms require. Thus there is a saturation point where
methane conversion to carbon dioxide stops, after this the methane dissolves
into water as such.

As a result, it is very dangerous situation if a still deep water pocket
becomes heavily laden with carbon dioxide as this dissolves in huge volumes (5
times the volume of water). The water column becomes highly unstable if water
overturns and the dissolved carbon dioxide and methane starts runaway
nucleation as the rising bubbles pull water with them upwards. This leads to
overturning of water and suffocating discharges of carbon dioxide and methane
as well as risk of drowing where ocean turns into foam and becomes unsupportive
to boats. Over 2,000 people died and professor Michel Halbwachs was
commissioned to resolve this by a controlled venting of gases.

The largest singel pan of highly dangerous carbon dioxide and methane laden
water is Lake Kivu. Besides melting permafrost thawing methane clathrates,
volcanoes can pump methane and carbon dioxide into water making it unstable,
which has been so far with the case Professor Halbwachs team of engineers has
been working to resolve to prevent further fatalities. We will see these in
off-shore and on-shore water bodies that have presence of frozen methane.
Microbes will eat methane away in most cases, but when supply of other
nutritiens falls back methane accummulates after microbial digestion to carbon
dioxide phases out.

I hope this clarifies what happens to the methane and carbon dioxide as arctic
reservoirs start leaking it.

Yours sincerely,

Veli Albert Kallio