Here's a related post from my blog that might be of interest ...

Despite the recent release of an Arctic Council report on climate
change and regional collapse (see Alarming New Study from the Arctic
Council, 5/5), the past week has witnessed discouraging developments
on the Arctic front. On Thursday, the Arctic Council held its seventh
Ministerial Meeting in Greenland, with attendees including US
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. The focus of the meeting was not
regional deterioration and possible mitigation, but rather the
accelerating scramble for Arctic resources made possible by global
warming. The main purpose of the gathering was to sign a new Search
and Rescue (SAR) Agreement, necessitated by increasing traffic
resulting from intensified oil and gas exploration and regional
shipping.

Prior to the conference, WikiLeaks released a series of US diplomatic
cables detailing the quickening rush to carve up newly accessible
Arctic mineral resources. In one cable, Danish Foreign Minister Per
Stig Moeller is quoted as saying (with reference to US failure to
ratify the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea and consequent
difficulty establishing claims in the Arctic), "if you stay out, then
the rest of us will have more to carve up in the Arctic." Another
cable quotes the Russian Ambassador to NATO remarking that "The twenty-
first century will see a fight for resources, and Russia should not be
defeated in this fight ... NATO has sensed where the wind comes from.
It comes from the North."

The Arctic is in a grave state, but the reality is that many national
and corporate interests stand to gain considerably from a thawing
Arctic. Mineral resources, fisheries, superior shipping lanes--climate
change is creating a resource bonanza for extractive and other
industries. The irony, of course, is that the region most sensitive to
global warming, and therefore most likely to benefit from expeditious
geoengineering, is the same region giving rise to some of the most
powerful incentives to acquiesce in, or even hasten, climate change.

Josh Horton