Hi Folks,

John asked a few important questions and I also thank him for moving the trawler problem forward.

As to "nutrient question. I have found a correlation between 2 studies and explored an idea for nutrient enhancement. Here is a copy of the post under the thread "Lecture on Methane..." May 12.

"If you take a look at this paper http://www.mumm-research.de/download_pdf/treude_et_al_aom_hr.pdf Pg 2

"The AOM consortium predominant at HR consists
of sulfate-reducing bacteria of the branch Desulfosarcina/Desulfococcus and archaea of the ANME-2 group (Boetius et al. 2000b). The archaea are surrounded by the sulfate-reducing bacteria and both
grow together in dense aggregates that comprise up
to 90% of the microbial biomass in hydrate-bearing
sediments. The current hypothesis on the functioning
of AOM assumes that archaea oxidize methane in a
process that is reverse to methanogenesis (Valentine
& Reeburgh 2000, and references therein). The role
of the sulfate-reducing bacteria in AOM-consortia is
the oxidation of a so far unknown intermediate by
simultaneous reduction of sulfate, thus maintaining
thermodynamic conditions allowing methane oxidation to proceed exergonically."

Now take a look at this: http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-scientists-links-biology-cloud-formation.html

The "so far unknown intermediate" seems to have been found by the second group. Thus, I believe sulfite enhancement might be used to both feed the sulfate-reducing bacteria in the vent areas to enhance the biomass around vents and thus methane oxidation. There may also be a synergistic link between increasing this process and.... believe it on not.....cloud nucleation.

This brings up the possibility of transplanting biotic colonies to less well populated vents to kick start the natural process. Methane hydrates are associated with local sulfate production in some vents. This may be a clue as to how we might get new biotic masses growing....feed them sulfate through dispersing blocks of compressed sulfate around vents.

Just a thought....Any comments, suggestions?" This nutrient enhancement can be done by aircraft. I will not take that much per sq km.

Also, I believe the methane can be captured and used to cool the surrounding water without extensive invasion of the area by industrial processes. The broad sketch of the concept is the first post at "Lecture on Methane".

One last thing. I think the ESAS has a mean depth of 150m....still not much. I try to address enhanced oxidation through hydrosol assimilation in todays post to Sam on the same thread.

Thanks,
Michael

On May 14, 2011 2:24am, John Nissen <j...@cloudworld.co.uk> wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks Albert and thanks to Michael before you (about the trawling
danger).

Albert, the problem of the ESAS (East Siberian Arctic Shelf) is that
it's shallow - about 8 metres deep I believe - so the microbes in
the water do not have time to convert the methane rising from the
seabed. Any overturning of the water column makes things worse,
because it carries warmer water from the surface to the seabed, to
melt the permafrost. But certainly an adequate supply of nutrients
would help the microbes in the water. What about the microbes on
the seabed - in the "biotic" layer that Michael mentions?
Presumably they convert methane before it enters the water above the
biotic layer. Is there any way to stimulate their activity?

If venting were done deliberately, could there be a way of capturing
the methane, with or without the CO2?

Michael, I'm copying this to Professor Watson, representing DEFRA,
to alert about the trawling danger. There obviously needs to be
some effective international regulation to protect areas of the
sea-floor where there may be a biotic layer of methane-converting
microbes.

John

---