http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/22/new-light-shed-on-north-pole-ice-trends/

The bottom line, expressed here before, is that no one should expect to find
much broad meaning in short-term variability in Arctic sea ice — in one
direction or the other. If there is a death spiral, expect a lot of loop the
loops<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/spread-of-thicker-arctic-ice-seen-last-summer/>along
the way. Those most passionately pushing for and against action on
greenhouse gases have a tendency to jump to the National Snow and Ice Data
Center Web site to chart each wiggle.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Ken Caldeira <kcalde...@dge.stanford.edu>wrote:

> Folks,
>
> There has been a fair amount of discussion on this group that talks about
> imminent September sea ice loss in the Arctic.
>
> The attached paper indicates that around half of the normal September
> sea-ice should still be around in the 2020-2040 time frame.
>
> Boe, J., Hall, A., Qu, Z. Nature Geosci 2, 341-343 (2009).
>
> I am not saying that the situation in the Arctic is not dire, however, are
> the suggestions that September sea-ice in the Arctic is soon to be a thing
> of the past a bit overblown and without foundation?
>
> Best,
>
> Ken

> Ken Caldeira
>
> Carnegie Institution Dept of Global Ecology
> 260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
> +1 650 704 7212 kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu
> http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira

*Please excuse typos; as you may be aware, I had a stroke 1
July<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/01/time-for-a-checkup/>
.*

ANDREW C. REVKIN
Dot Earth blogger, The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/dotearth
Senior Fellow, Pace Acad. for Applied Env. Studies
Cell: 914-441-5556 Fax/voicemail: 509-357-0965
Twitter: @revkin Skype: Andrew.Revkin