So snow/ice cover underneath anthro aerosols increases warming? Have winter
relative to summer temps increased because of this?  - Greg
From: David Keith [david_ke...@harvard.edu]
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 10:37 AM
To: Rau, Greg; s.sal...@ed.ac.uk; geoengineering@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [geo] White roof snag

Greg et al

There are a number of reasons why white roofs might cause heating that are well
explained in the paper. Among them local suppression of convection and the
correlation between where the roofs are and absorbing dust particles. The roofs
we plan to whiten tend to be in places with dirty air, and so the problem of
absorption is much more pronounced than if we scattered the whitening randomly
over the planet.

Your analogy to large-scale albedo changes is false because both the
interaction with convection and the correlation with dirty air are not present
in that case.

I think it will take more papers to really nail this down but there's nothing
impossible about this result and at a glance the paper seems sensible and
serious.

Http://www.stanford.edu/group/efmh/jacobson/Articles/Others/HeatIsland+WhiteRfs0911.pdf

David