Hi Alan—Well, my mistake—I thought I got the 2-month number from your paper
on this, but apparently not.

Mike

On 3/19/12 1:12 PM, "Alan Robock" <rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>> also be choosing emissions times to have air flows that carry the SO2/sulfate
>> over the Arctic and not over the land. So, yes, will be some impacts, but can
>> possibly be moderated to be less than, as your study suggested, the
>> unintended side effects of stratospheric SO2. I am all for considering and
>> comparing the full range of possible approaches (stratospheric, tropospheric,
>> surface, etc.--separately and/or in combination).
>>
>>  With some sense of what might be able to be done and the potential impacts,
>> the next step is a comparative risk evaluation, as for all climate
>> engineering. Without doing something, it is hard to see how the Arctic can be
>> kept from very extensive thawing and loss of the climate that we have. With
>> it, yes, some different types of impacts due to the engineering effort, but,
>> assuming it works, a good deal less, or slowed climate impact on the Arctic,
>> and if loss of glacier/ice sheet mass can be slowed (or reversed—as
>> Caldeira-Wood study suggested), then a benefit to the global community.
>>
>>  With some sense of relative risks of various choices, it becomes a political
>> decision, with its many considerations. I happen to think that, if any
>> climate engineering is to be considered, having a focused goal such as
>> limiting polar warming and associated impacts would be more likely to be
>> considered as a first step than jumping straight to a global
>> counter-balancing approach, but that is just my opinion. In any case, rather
>> than saying what is or is not acceptable, it seems to me our responsibility
>> is to explore and evaluate options and then it is the governance system that
>> decides about the tradeoffs of pollution versus un- (or under-) moderated
>> Arctic change (and everything else).
>>
>>  Mike
>>

>>  On 3/19/12 12:03 PM, "Alan Robock" <rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>>

>>>    Dear Mike,
>>>
>>>   I don't know how you do this 6 to 1 calculation.  We found that the
>>> e-folding time for stratospheric aerosols in the Arctic s 2-4 months, with 4
>>> months in the summer, the relevant time.  (see
>>> http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/2008JD010050small.pdf )  If we compare
>>> this to the lifetime of tropospheric aerosols, on week, and add a week to
>>> the 4 months for their tropospheric time, the ratio is 130 days to 7 days,
>>> which is 19 to 1, not 6 to 1.  Furthermore, the health effects of additional
>>> tropospheric pollution are not acceptable, in my opinion.
>>>

>>>  Alan
>>>
>>>  [On sabbatical for current academic year.  The best way to contact me
>>>  is by email, rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu, or at 732-881-1610 (cell).]
>>>
>>>  Alan Robock, Professor II (Distinguished Professor)
>>>    Editor, Reviews of Geophysics
>>>    Director, Meteorology Undergraduate Program
>>>    Associate Director, Center for Environmental Prediction
>>>  Department of Environmental Sciences        Phone: +1-732-932-9800 x6222
>>>  Rutgers University                                  Fax: +1-732-932-8644

 Hi

 Here are some model outputs which Stephen sent me. These appear to show
 localized arctic warming in geoengineering simulations. This could be due
 winter effects.

 I assume this is the source for the controversial figure in the BBC quote