This list was originally set up to help facilitate communication among
working scientists and other professionals. We generally have access to
these journals through our institutions.

Also, pdfs of many papers have been sent directly to this group -- a
practice that I applaud.

So, in short, Alan is right:  We should be worrying a bit more about
reducing the number of posts with low or misleading information content
(like this email), and not implement restrictive posting policies to try to
improve professional publication practices (which is, no doubt, a laudable
goal).