Reexamining the economics of aerosol geoengineering
CLIMATIC CHANGE
2012, DOI: 10.1007/s10584-012-0619-x
J. Eric Bickel and Shubham Agrawal
http://www.springerlink.com/content/01g462v6j310w461/
[online free access]

Abstract
In this paper, we extend the work of Goes, Tuana, and Keller (Climatic Change
2011; GTK) by reexamining the economic benefit, of aerosol geoengineering. GTK
found that a complete substitution of geoengineering for CO2 abatement fails a
cost-benefit test over a wide range of scenarios regarding (i) the probability
that such a program would be aborted and (ii) the economic damages caused by
geoengineering itself. In this paper, we reframe the conditions under which GTK
assumed geoengineering would/could be used. In so doing, we demonstrate that
geoengineering may pass a cost-benefit test over a wide range of scenarios
originally considered by GTK.

4 Conclusion
As stated at the outset, this paper has made no attempt to argue for the
deployment of
geoengineering. Instead, we have demonstrated that framing the use of
geoengineering
is critical to determining its cost-benefit. All of our changes to GTK's
analysis have
resulted in a much larger region in which GEO may pass a cost-benefit test,
because
of the way GEO was positioned: Society can either (i) implement an optimally
designed abatement policy (beginning with 25 % reductions 4 years from now) that
will proceed uninterrupted for the next several hundred years, or (ii) implement
geoengineering that completely substitutes for emissions reductions and if
things go
badly (50 years from now), society must suffer the consequences and is not
permitted
to choose emissions reductions later. Given this choice, it is not surprising
that the
range in which GEO would be economic is quite small. Differing and we believe
more reasonable framings of geoengineering use result in nearly the opposite
conclusion: GEO may pass a cost-benefit test over a wide range of scenarios
regarding (i)
the probability it would be abandoned, and (ii) the economic damage caused by
its
use. This conclusion, however, is not invariant to changes in the underlying
assumptions or model structure upon which it is based. For example, future
research may
determine that GEO damages increase non-linearly with usage intensity or are
more
damaging than GTK assumed.

Jesse L. Reynolds, M.S.
PhD Candidate