Hi John, Kelly, ad Armand--With respect to hurricane modification, there may
be an alternative approach to consider other than cooling the areas where
the hurricanes develop. Stu Ostro of The Weather Channel has written a
review of this year's hurricane season; see
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/stuostro/show.html?entrynum=18

What is interesting is that there is a channel that seems to control the
tracks of hurricanes up and into the North Atlantic where the storms
hopefully die. So, maybe an approach is to think about altering North
Atlantic temperature changes in a way that keeps hurricanes out to sea in
the Atlantic. And for Hurricane Sandy, that alters conditions in the
Labrador Sea area so that the hurricanes heading up the East Coast of North
America don't get trapped along the coast and can be blown out to sea.

Now, I know this does not benefit Caribbean island nations and so this is
likely not the only approach to be thinking about, but might it be that an
alternative approach would be to try to steer hurricanes to areas of the
ocean where coastal cities and infrastructure would not be much affected? At
least it could be evaluated if this might be easier, at least during some
years.

Mike MacCracken