Mike

Go to http://csc.noaa.gov/hurricanes/# open the hurricanes tab and look at the map.

They start in quite a tight bunch off Conakry and then diverge. The 'primary school' is about 2000 by 1000 km.

NOAA will not assign a line to to them until they get to some agreed size. If you look at the directions they point to a 'nursery' a bit to east south-east, maybe off the Ivory Coast.

I would say that Mercator is fine at the tropics but expands the high latitudes. I am trying to get climate modellers to use six views using the Lambert azimuthal projection with more sensible colours for contours but it might be easier to stop mature hurricanes.

Stephen

--
Emeritus Professor of Engineering Design School of Engineering University of Edinburgh Mayfield Road Edinburgh EH9 3JL Scotland s.sal...@ed.ac.uk Tel +44 (0)131 650 5704 Cell 07795 203 195 WWW.see.ed.ac.uk/~shs