Gene,

I share your sentiments entirely. Taking Sandy's $80 billion + with
concomitant personal agonies, add to that, from a few weeks later,
the tragic loss of more than 500 lives in the Phillipines, and
extrapolate into the future, we create an utterly devastating
picture.

Our problem is that we have no significant funding., so our rate of
progress with this work is substantially and increasingly slowed down.
We need to complete the development of our spraying system,
extend our computations, in several directions including a thorough
examination of possible adverse consequences and associated
remedial action: and we need to field-test the system over a
limited oceanic area, on a scale of perhaps 100km, and build the
required number of spray-ships.

A rough estimate of costs  for a fully functioning operational
full-scale system averaged over 20 years is not more than
$100M per year.

Any suggestions as to how to procure the required support
would be most welcome.

Best Wishes,

John.

John Latham
Address: P.O. Box 3000,MMM,NCAR,Boulder,CO 80307-3000
Email: lat...@ucar.edu  or john.latha...@manchester.ac.uk
Tel: (US-Work) 303-497-8182 or (US-Home) 303-444-2429
 or   (US-Cell)   303-882-0724  or (UK) 01928-730-002
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/people/latham