Just an alternative perspective on CROPS : the trace elements in biomass
end up in fossil fuels when they form. So the loss of crop residue to the
deep ocean is roughly equivalent to that process. If we're burning fossil
fuels we'll recover the trace elements contained within.  Combustion giveth
what fossilisation taketh away?

 On Dec 16, 2012 6:56 PM, "RAU greg" <gh...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Thanks Ron. As for Karlen et al's grand solution:
> "If the CROPS concept is not acceptable to soil and water scientists, what
> alternatives are offered to address rising CO2 concentrations? Energy
> efficiency and conservation (29) are certainly a top priority, which is
> consistent with the North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture Research
> and Education (NCR-SARE) Administrative Council recommendations for
> sustainable bioenergy production (30)."
>
> Anyone care to diagram how energy efficiency and conservation are going to
> save the planet from excess CO2 when we need essentially zero fossil fuel
> emissions to stabilize air CO2?
>
> Also if CROPS is a bad idea, shall we also try to halt the 0.5 Gt/yr of
> terrestrial org C (1.8 Gt/yr CO2 equivalent) that is currently washing into
> the ocean and being stored, thus risk its terrestrial decomposition and
> return to the atmosphere?
>
> For what it's worth, my own philosophy is: for environmental and societal
> reasons, never send in biology to do a job that geochemistry does more
> effectively and safely (but not more quickly without our help). Yet under
> the circumstances, would welcome being proven wrong.
>
> -Greg

>>> 650.281.9126 (Mobile)